Top
Millennium Post

Delhi govt extends power amnesty scheme till December

The Delhi government on Thursday extended its power amnesty scheme till December and also brought under its ambit, the victims of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots making it possible for them to settle disputes related to power theft, non-payment of bills among others.

In case of outstanding bills, the families of riot victims will be charged Rs 250 per month from the date of last payment till July 2015 and those whose lines have been disconnected will be charged on similar basis till the date of disconnection.

The late payment surcharge will be fully waived off in all such cases and the consumers will be given the option of paying the dues in installments over a period of six months.

A government official said that the step was taken after a number of representations from 1984 riot victims were received over their weak financial abilities which were coming in the way of paying bills in many cases.

“Further, electricity bills of many victims are disputed. The families of the 1984 riots victims have requested the government to provide relief in settlement of long pending electricity bills,” Power Secretary Sukhesh Kumar Jain said.

The scheme, primarily aimed at the residents of J J clusters, was launched by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on August 30 and was subsequently extended till October 30.

“Power department has informed that about 43,000 cases have been settled under this scheme so far. The public in general including many MLAs have requested the government so that the consumer may be allowed some more time to avail to the benefits of the scheme,” an official statement said. 

The scope of the scheme has been extended to residential colonies of the 1984 riot victims including B and C Blocks of Tilak Vihar, Shivaji Enclave, Raghubir Nagar, Widow Colony (Shaheed Bhagat Singh Colony) and Lal Quarter.
Next Story
Share it