CBI chief mum on Headley’s revelation about Ishrat Jahan
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) director Anil Sinha on Tuesday refused to be drawn into the issue of American-Pakistani terrorist David Headley’s recent testimony in 26/11 case that Ishrat Jahan was an LeT terrorist, saying the matter is subjudice. He noted that the agency has already submitted the charge-sheet in the alleged fake encounter case of Ishrat Jahan.
“The matter is sub-judice. We have already submitted charge-sheet in the case. Hence, I would not like to comment anything on this,” Sinha, who was in Mumbai to inaugurate the new CBI office in Bandra-Kurla Complex (BKC), said.
He was asked by media persons if the revelation made by Headley before a special court here last month that Ishrat was an operative of banned terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) would have any impact on the case. Headley revealed this while deposing before the special court, which is conducting trial against alleged LeT operative Abu Jundal in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case.
Headley said that LeT leader Zaki-ur-Rehman had told him about Muzammil Butt’s botched up operation in India. “It was some shootout with the police. I don’t know which part in India. But there was one female who was killed in the shootout,” Headley had said.
Special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam then said, “If I give you three names, will you be able to point out who was the female who was killed?” To this Headley replied yes.
Nikam then said, “Was it Noorjahan Begum, Ishrat Jahan or Mumtaz. Headley then said, “I think it is the second one.” Headley had added that Ishrat was an Indian national.