Bulandshahr case: SC unhappy over non-appearance of Azam Khan
"In our considered opinion, the respondent number 2 (Khan) should have entered <g data-gr-id="26" style="color: #3b3b3b; font-size: 11px;">appearance</g> as there is a direct allegation against him. In view of the aforesaid, we direct CBI to serve the notice on respondent number 2," a bench headed by Justice Dipak Misra said.
It directed the apex court registry to provide <g data-gr-id="25">copy</g> of the case records along with the notice to CBI for serving them on the minister.
The court said that it seems whatever had been said by Khan is in "his personal capacity".
The remarks came when Additional Solicitor General Maninder Singh, appearing for CBI, submitted that the notice could have been served through UP government as Khan is part of the cabinet.
The bench, meanwhile, allowed lawyer Kislay Pandey, appearing for the victim's father, to file additional documents in the case and fixed the matter for further hearing on October 25.
The brutal incident had happened on the night of July 29 when a group of highway robbers stopped the car of a Noida- based family and sexually assaulted the woman and her daughter after dragging them out of the vehicle at <g data-gr-id="34">gun-point</g>.
The apex court had on August 29 taken note of the controversial remarks of Khan that the gangrape case was a "political <g data-gr-id="31">conspiracy",</g> while staying the CBI probe in the case. It had also asked whether the State should stop people holding high offices from making such comments on heinous crimes.
On September 8, the court lifted the stay on CBI probe in the case after modifying its earlier order and asked the agency to proceed as per law.
CBI had moved the apex court seeking modification of the order staying its ongoing probe in the case, saying it may cause "disappearance of material <g data-gr-id="32">evidences</g>" besides enabling six accused to seek statutory bail.