New Delhi: The first 2+2 India-US strategic dialogue, deferred at the last minute last month, will now take place in the first week of September, Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said on Friday, dismissing speculations that the American decision to put off the talks on July 6 signalled a lower priority to the ties between the two countries.
"The 2+2 dialogue with the US is to happen in the first week of September. The agenda will be to develop and strengthen strategic defence cooperation and to follow-on with what had transpired during the meeting with US Defence Secretary Jim Matti"," she told reporters here.
The minister asserted that there were no reasons for deferring the talks other than the fact that the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had to be in North Korea in the first week of July for unscheduled meetings with officials of that country.
"That was the only window (available to them for North Korea talks). There is no other reason."